Artist’s Books, Zines and Instant Books
Monday 5th August 2024 for 3 days — Cost: £180
Tutor: Penny Maltby
This course has availabilityClick Here to Book Now
Zines, Instant Books and Artist’s Books are used by many artists as a form of communication and artistic expression. They are often interactive, portable, challenge conventional book format and made from a wide variety of materials. They range from simple folded forms to more abstract and sculptural ones. this course will give you an introduction to this art form as well as insights into how you can incorporate it into your own creative practice. The course is suitable for all, whether you are a practicing artist, a budding book artist or simply someone who loves to make things with paper. Participants should be comfortable using a scalpel and steel ruler to cut paper and card to attend this course. Throughout the course you will be encouraged to plan and sample books or zines to reflect your own practice. At the end of the course you will have a large range of samples for future reference.
Your tutor will introduce you to the myriad of forms, structure and materials used within Artist Book and zine making. There will be short presentation on the history of this art form and some time to browse the tutor’s own Artist Book collection. There will then be a series of short exercises exploring structure and form alongside folding and cutting techniques.
We will look at pop up mechanisms, joining and linking pages and ways to finish your book or zine.
Under the guidance of your tutor the group will plan and make their own Artist’s Books/Zines using the knowledge and skills learnt on the course.
Materials for Students to Bring:
- Cutting mat & steel ruler
- Some personal papers, fabric and card of your choice to use in your ‘Artist’s Books’
- Any buttons & buckles, tape, thread etc. you may want to incorporate plus a basic sewing kit
- Recycled and interesting papers to use as book leaves (the tutor will also provide some)
- Scalpel and spare blades or other suitable cutting blade
- Bone folder
- Paper scissors
- Pritt stick
- Objects or memorabilia which might inform your book. Please contact me if you need any advice on this
- Any pens/inks or colouring materials you may want to use
Materials Cost to Students:£8 per person.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org