Life Drawing Basics: Understanding the Human Form
Monday 5th August 2024 for 2 days — Cost: £120
Tutor: Ella Clocksin
This course has availabilityClick Here to Book Now
A tutored two-day life drawing course, working live from a professional (unclothed) model.
You will learn how to see, understand and draw the figure’s three-dimensional strutures from different angles in a range of poses. You’ll become familiar with taking a ‘whole-thing’ overall view of the human figure’s proportions, silhouette, stance and posture, rather than getting stuck on detail.
You’ll be guided through a variety of drawing processes, traditional and contemporary, to generate a mix of believability and vitality in your figures. It’s not a portraiture class as such and we don’t work from photos.
This course is suitable for beginners to life drawing. However, if you want to revisit the fundamentals of figure drawing or your other life classes are untutored, you’ll find much here to strengthen your work.
This course is a great (but not insisted upon) foundation for ‘Life Drawing: Experimental and Expressive,’ Summer School 7-9 August.
£25 for the model for the whole course. Please bring correct cash.
Materials to Bring
- Drawing paper (light cartridge etc), A2 to A1, or buy A1 sheets from tutor
- Drawing board to fit your paper. This can be a sheet of foam board, sturdy card from back of a paper pad, MDF, plywood etc. Tutor has a few A2 and A1 boards to buy or borrow
- Large bulldog clips to hold paper on board
- A supply of ‘willow' charcoal in a couple of different thickness (not extra thin). Minimum 4 sticks
- 2 black Sharpies or felt pens, thick and thin
- A stick of white chalk (children's or blackboard chalk is ideal)
- Cheap plastic eraser (not putty), pencil sharpener and ‘firm hold’ hairspray to fix charcoal
- From what you already have, bring a selection (not all) of other greyscale or colour drawing pens, felt pens, crayons, chalks, compressed charcoal, chunky graphite, oil pastels, Conté or Aquagraf etc.
- Optional: A portable free-standing folding easel